Now that the sun has finally appeared from behind all that winter cloud it is time to get out and enjoy the sunshine. There are lots of great benefits to getting out on your bike and here are some of them:
- Cycling is a great cardiovascular workout.Regular cycling can cut your risk of heart disease by 50 percent. According to the British Heart Foundation, around 10,000 fatal heart attacks could be avoided each year if people kept themselves ﬁtter. Cycling just 20 miles a week reduces your risk of heart disease to less than half that of those who take no exercise, it says.
- Regular cycling can improve your sleeping patterns.Research at Stanford University have shown that regular cycling for 20 to 30 mins every other day can reduce by half the time required for insomniacs to fall asleep and sleep time increased by almost an hour.
- Lose Weight in the Saddle.Cycling is a great way to lose those pounds and is kinder to your body. Think about it – if you go for a jog you are putting a lot of strain on your skeleton pounding the road whereas when you cycle the main weight of your body is on the saddle. You can burn up 500 to 1000 calories when you cycle for 1 hour, depending on your weight and how fast you cycle.
- Fight off Illness.Regular cycling can keep illness at bay. According to research at the University of North Carolina people that do 30 minutes cycling per day, 5 days per week take half as many sick days from work as those who don’t do any physical exercise. Moderate exercise makes immune systems more active and able to fight off infection.
- Enjoy Healthy Family Time. Cycling is an activity that all the family can do together, even the very young using child buggies or child seats and the very old using electric bikes to help with the hills. Children are influenced by the exercise activity of their parents so you are sowing the seeds for great health living for your family now and into the future. So get out on your bike this Easter Break. Call 087 7386439 to book a bike.
- Bike Hire available at 2 Great Locations. Electric Bike Trails have a full range of bikes for hire at Leitrim Village and Lough Key Forest and Activity Park. There is 14 Km of traffic free cycling along the Shannon Blueway starting at Leitrim Village, along the Lough Allen Canal. If woodland cycling is your choice get along to Lough Key Forest and Activity Park for a fun filled family cycle on 8 km of woodland paths in beautiful surroundings.